Joining the co-op involves completing an application and making a payment toward the $250 equity share. This payment can be made in yearly installments of $25 over ten years. After that, an owner is fully vested in the co-op and no more yearly payments are required. Your equity payment is used to help keep the co-op viable (update equipment, make improvements, fix things, etc). If the co-op makes a profit during the business year, that profit is shared by the owners through a patronage rebate payment determined by the Board of Directors.
1. To support a store committed to quality and ethics: The French Broad Food Co-op is a store owned by the people who shop here, so it just makes sense that we would try harder than anyone else around to satisfy your shopping needs in a courteous and conscientious way. You can be proud to shop with us!
2. 5% on the 5th: Owners save 5% on their purchases on the 5th of each month! Easy to remember, easy to save!
3. Owners-only Events and Deals: Our Owner Appreciation Days are held quarterly, with special discounts, entertainment, product demos, educational opportunities and more.
4. Democracy and Ownership: Enjoy a voice in Co-op governance; as an owner you have the right to vote, and run, for the Board of Directors. Have a say in how your store grows! Everyone makes a difference.
5. Worker Owner Program: This program offers owners the opportunity to get more involved in the life of our store, as well as to earn an additional 15% off of Co-op purchases.
6. The Scoop: Co-op owners are enthusiastically encouraged to write articles and letters for our monthly newsletter.
7. Special Discounts: Co-op owners receive 10 – 50% discount on our top selling products through “Owner-Only Specials”. Owners can also receive a 20% discount on full case special orders.